Yacedrah Williams woke up in the middle of the night to use her lubricating eye drops as her contact lens had made her eyes dry.
Trigger Warning: This story contains distressing details that may be disturbing to some readers.
A woman in Michigan is counting her lucky stars as she is still able to see after making a mistake that is sure to make your skin crawl: she mistook a bottle of nail glue for eye drops. Earlier this month Yacedrah Williams accidentally applied adhesive which was meant to repair her broken fingernails to her eyes instead of drops that were meant to lubricate her contact lens. According to WXYZ, Wliiamswoke up in the middle of the night on April 15 after her eyes became dry as she slept with her contact lens on. In a sleepy state, she reached out for her purse to get eye her eye drops but pulled out a similar-sized bottle of nail glue.
It wasn't until she squeezed the liquid into her eye that she realized the blunder. "I was like, 'Oh my goodness!'" recalled Williams of the horrifying moment. "It dropped in my eye." She began yelling to wake up her husband, Derrick, so he could call 911. "She went into a panic. I tried to keep her from panicking but then I said, 'Derrick, this is in her eye, not yours,'" he said. Although Williams tried her best to remove the liquid from her eye, it was too late as the adhesive had glued her eyes shut by then. "I tried to wipe it away and it sealed my eye shut," she said, according to PEOPLE. "I just started throwing cold water, and I was trying to pull my eyes apart but couldn't. It was completely shut."
Williams' husband immediately rushed her to the hospital where doctors were, fortunately, able to open her eyes and remove the glue-encrusted contact lens. Although she lost a few of her eyelashes in the process, her vision was not affected as the contact lens ended up being her saving grace, "They said that contacts saved my vision. They kept saying, you’ll probably lose your lashes, which I did, because they had to pull on it and flip the top of my lid," explained Williams per Mirror. The traumatizing incident has taught the Michigan resident an important lesson and it is "never" to keep both her eye drops and nail glue together in her purse ever again. "I don't think I'll even have nail glue anymore," she said.
I can't even imagine. I put my contact in this morning, had the tiniest sliver of an eyelash on it I didn't see and I was screaming! 😫— ➥ rie 🇩🇰🐾 (@single_spacer) April 23, 2021
Dr. George Williams who leads the Department of Ophthalmology at Beaumont Hospital told WXYZ that Williams made the right decision by using water to wash her eyes immediately after the incident. Informing people about the best thing to do in such stressful situations like this one, Dr. George said. He added, "If you ever get anything in your eye, the immediate thing to do is try to flush your eye out. Either hold your head under a faucet, get a bottle of water, hold your eye open and just flood your eye." He continued, "You’ll make a mess, but you may save your vision."
This happened at my work too. Someone grabbed the wrong bottle on a work station.— Obedear (@Elvaphant) April 23, 2021
While the latest glue-related incident was an accidental one, we have unfortunately witnessed a few this year where people deliberately applied Gorilla Glue on their body as a part of some insane challenge. Tessica Brown from Louisiana went viral after she sprayed the industrial-grade glue on her hair, claiming she grabbed Gorilla Glue spray by mistake instead of her regular hair spray. This resulted in her hair becoming an impenetrable helmet which caused the woman a lot of distress. Right after this, 37-year-old Len Martin ended up in the emergency room as he tried out the glue himself.
He wanted to prove that TikToker Brown was actually "lying about" the serious repercussion. "I thought she was just playing around because I didn’t think it was that serious," he shared," adding that he instantly regretted his decision after applying it. Martin used the Gorilla Glue to glue his upper lip to a Red cup and thought that it would come off if he simply moistened it a little. However, it did not work and the cup had to be removed by a doctor during a "painful peeling."
We are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that Miss Brown experienced using our Spray Adhesive on her hair. We are glad to see in her recent video that Miss Brown has received medical treatment from her local medical facility and wish her the best. pic.twitter.com/SoCvwxdrGc— Gorilla Glue (@GorillaGlue) February 8, 2021