Wine, instead of water, started flowing from residents' taps, faucets, and showerheads after a malfunction occurred at a local winery. This leak led to 1,000 liters of its ready-to-be-bottled wine into the water pipes
Residents of the northern Italian town of Castelvetro were in for a treat last week when they discovered delicious red wine flowing from their kitchen sinks. Of course, it wasn't divine intervention, but an accidental occurrence that supplied wine instead of water to the plumbing of people's homes in a small village near Modena, Italy. Although the supply lasted only for a few hours on March 4, people were quick to save the precious Lambrusco that was pouring from their faucets and showerheads.
According to CNN, the malfunction occurred at a local winery Lambrusco Grasparossa and ended up leaking 1,000 liters of its ready-to-be-bottled wine into the water pipes. The Cantina Settecani winery explained how the malfunction was caused due to a faulty valve in the washing circuit within the bottling line. In a statement to CNN, the winery also revealed that a local specialty, Lambrusco Grasparossa, leaked into the town's water lines due to pressure. Now, wine has a higher pressure than water in pipes. This enables them to course faster through plumbing systems quickly, reports Daily Mail.
Giorgia Mezzacqui, the deputy manager of Castelvetro, which is situated about ten miles south of Modena, revealed that the malfunction lasted for about three hours and impacted nearly 20 homes in the area. Taking to its Facebook page, the local government updated residents in the area about the leak and assured that it didn't pose any health risks. Apart from offering people a chance to drink free wine at home, the incident also helped lighten the mood amidst the coronavirus crisis, which reportedly has hit the northern part of Italy the hardest.
"At a time where we have very little to smile about, I'm glad we brought some levity to others," said Mezzacqui. "Hopefully someday they'll remember us and will want to come visit us." The commercial manager at Cantina Settecani, Fabrizio Amorotti, said that the glitch "was appreciated by many. Some clients in the areas called us to warn us about it, and to share they were bottling the wine!" Speaking about Castelvetro, which is situated in the heart of the Emilia-Romagna region, Deputy Mayor Mezzacqui noted that the destination is frequently visited by food and wine enthusiasts across the globe.
Ever since the COVID-19 outbreak, the abundance of tourists has steadily dropped with cancellations in 80 percent of tourism structures in the area. Castelvetro like many other small towns are "the engine propelling an extraordinary nation, but now we need everybody's help to survive," she added. The novel coronavirus has killed at least 3,821 people and affected 108,000 globally. With over 7,300 confirmed cases and 366 deaths, the Italian authorities have placed much of the northern part of the country on lockdown. In Asia and China, signs of improvement were witnessed but the situation in Europe and North America seems to be worsening.
Hoping to tackle this new crisis, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte signed a decree on Saturday that will place millions of residents across northern Italy on lockdown, reports CNN. The entire Lombardy region and 14 other provinces will be facing travel restrictions. This move has been considered one of the toughest responses outside mainland China to get the coronavirus epidemic under control. "There will be an obligation to avoid any movement of people who are either entering or leaving" the areas affected by the virus, said Conte announcing the measures.
"Even within the areas moving around will occur only for essential work or health reasons," he added. The lockdown is only applied to the northern parts of Italy for now, but some measures will be implemented in other parts of the country as well. Schools and universities will be suspended, so will theaters, cinemas, bars, nightclubs, and sports events. Religious ceremonies that require a mass gathering like funerals will also be suspended. The World Health Organization (WHO) has urged "all countries to continue efforts that have been effective in limiting the number of cases and slowing the spread of the virus." In a statement, they warned, "Allowing uncontrolled spread should not be a choice of any government, as it will harm not only the citizens of that country but affect other countries as well."