Teen Shot Dead While Rapping On Facebook Live, Authorities Looking For Culprit

Teen Shot Dead While Rapping On Facebook Live, Authorities Looking For Culprit

19-year-old Jeremiah Dickey was shot in the head while he was rapping and broadcasting it on Facebook Live.

Image Source: Facebook/Jeremiah Funeral Cost

A heartbreaking incident happened on Tuesday when a teenager from New York was fatally shot while he was on Facebook Live. According to a statement from the New York Police Department, authorities responded to a 911 call, around 6:45 pm, about a male victim who had been shot at Elton Street and New Lots Avenue in Brooklyn. On arrival, police found 19-year-old Jeremiah Dickey with a gunshot wound to his head. He lay unconscious and unresponsive at the time and so he was immediately rushed to Brookdale Hospital Medical Center where they pronounced him dead.


The grief-stricken mother of Jeremiah, Debra Dickey, says there was no way she could have known that something like this could have happened to her beloved son, especially when he was simply live streaming on Facebook. Describing her son as a loving and kind kid who loved helping others, she expressed just how much she misses him. "I just miss my son," said the heartbroken mother, according to CNN. "I shouldn't have to be sitting here sobbing while they're still out there running free." In a statement to the outlet, Facebook confirmed that the terrifying video has been removed from its platform. 

Image Source: GoFundMe/Jeremiah Funeral Cost

"He was a good person. I don’t know what happened," shared Melissa Dickey, the victim's sister, as she lit a candle on Wednesday at the spot where her dear brother was killed. "I have no idea who did this to him," she added according to New York Daily News. In the Facebook Live video, which has since been removed, Jeremiah was seen sitting inside a car and rapping along to a song for nearly 35 seconds. Following this, he shifts his attention to his surroundings and looks around as the sound of five consecutive gunshots fills the air in the background. 36-year-old Amer Shammakh was working at the bodega when Dickey, his regular customer was shot. "I heard shots outside. A few minutes later all the police arrived," said Shammakh. 


"When we went outside there was a huge crowd of people. I was surprised because this is a safe area. He was a good guy. You could see the smile in his face. He always helped you . . . I feel so sorry. Life is too short. I hope they find who did this," he added. A GoFundMe account has since been created to take care of the funeral expenses. "This is a terrible incident and our thoughts are with the victim and his loved ones," said a spokesman for Facebook. Speaking to the outlet, NYPD revealed that they don't have any information about the video and so they wouldn't be able to confirm if the tragic shooting was recorded during the Facebook Live session. Police are still looking for the person responsible for this terrible crime and as of now, no arrests have been made. 


This is a developing case. Stay tuned for more updates. 

Recommended for you