Teen Weds High School Sweetheart After Learning He Had Just Months Left To Live

Teen Weds High School Sweetheart After Learning He Had Just Months Left To Live

Their dreams of a "happily forever after" came to a staggering halt after Chase's cancer relapsed in March.

Image Source: Facebook/Jeff Mills

As Chase Smith and Sadie Mills began dating, they envisioned somewhere along the line that they would tie the knot someday. They knew Sadie would attend IUPUI to pursue her elite diving career and Chase, who was a nationally-ranked swimmer, would cheer her on and hopefully would get back in the water himself. They wanted to get married after finishing college and lead a long life of happiness together. But their dreams came to a staggering halt after Chase's cancer had relapsed in March. The once nationally-ranked swimmer was first diagnosed with a femur tumor in 2014. His oncologist at Riley Hospital for Children, Dr. Melissa K. Bear, immediately started him on chemotherapy and he was doing well despite his multiple battles with Ewing's sarcoma until March.


After conducting a few tests, they found that Chase had a tumor present on his shoulder and three others on his back, hip, and lungs. By late April he began experiencing sharp pain in both sides of his temple and his left eye.  Following a few more scans, they learned that he had tumors all over his skull. The family knew that even with extreme treatment, Chase's chances of serving his six-year battle with Ewing's sarcoma were pretty slim. They were left devastated after doctors revealed that Chase just had three to five months to live. After receiving this devastating prognosis, Chase's father Brad Smith looked at him and said he knew about his son's plans. "He said, 'I can tell in your demeanor that you're going to marry Sadie one day. I  want you to know if that's going through your mind right now, your mom, and I support you 110 percent.'" shared Chase according to Indy Star.


When he told Sadie about it, she admitted that she had been thinking the same. So, they decided to advance their wedding plans and the Smiths broke the news over dinner with the Mills. "I told them how much Sadie had changed my life and how much I loved her, how special she had been to me, the simple fact that there is nobody I've been able to open up about my personal life and cancer journey like I'm able to with her," he expressed. "She is able to calm me down in a lot of scenarios when nobody else can." Luckily, the bride's parents gave their approval in a heartbeat after witnessing how happy their daughter was with Chase. "The most important thing in my world at this point is spending time loving and laughing," added Chase. 


Within four days, the two families put together a wedding and despite the crushing news, the lovebirds exchanged vows on April 29. That day they promised to spend every moment of Chase's life together and lay their faith in God. "We, every day, pray for a miracle together because we trust in God. We pray that Chase would stay on this earth longer so we can bring more people our story of love," shared Sadie. Their love story began a little over six months ago when they met during senior swim season. "I saw her before the meet. I thought she was pretty cute," recalled Chase, adding that the two quickly exchanged numbers. "We haven't been without each other more than maybe like a day or two since our first date," he added. 


Sadie, who completed her senior diving season Academic All-State, shared that she fell in love with Chase's maturity and his willingness to perform activities with her. "He was so sweet. He's very polite. He's a good Christian boy. We just fell in love with each other's personalities. Now, he is all that matters to me," she explained. For Chase, it was love from the moment he met Sadie. "This is like a Hallmark love story. A Nicholas Sparks love story. You just don't see love like this," said the teen's mother Kelli Smith. A GoFundMe page chronicling Chase's battle with Ewing's sarcoma is also available. 



Recommended for you