After 8-Yr-Old Son Dies In His Sleep, Working Parents Beg Others To Make More Time For Their Kids

After 8-Yr-Old Son Dies In His Sleep, Working Parents Beg Others To Make More Time For Their Kids

J.R. Stormen, an extremely successful businessman, and his wife Jessica Brandes, a naturopathic doctor, share their heartbreaking story about losing one of their sons all of a sudden.

After the death of one of their two sons, an Oregan couple is now urging people to spend more time with their kids instead of prioritizing other things. According to a report by PEOPLE, J.R. Stormen, an extremely successful business, and his wife Jessica Brandes, a naturopathic doctor, were living there happily ever after with 8-year-old twin sons, Wiley and Oliver, in Portland. However, they received the shock of their lives when they discovered one of their two boys had passed away in his sleep. In order to deal with the loss of their precious Wylie both took to their LinkedIn profiles and shared their stories on their respective accounts. 


The successful couple admitted to working most of the time. Time they probably could have spent with Wylie when he was still alive. Requesting other parents not to commit this mistake, a heartbroken father wrote: Hug your kids. Don’t work too late. A lot of the things you are likely spending your time on you’ll regret once you no longer have the time. Furthermore, he added: If there’s any lesson to take away from this, it’s to remind others (and myself) not to miss out on the things that matter. Brandes, on the other hand, wrote: If we’ve learned anything at all, it’s that life is fragile and time really can be so cruelly short. She then goes on to write: We wish a lot of things were different, but mostly we wish we’d had more time. If you are a parent and have any capacity to spend more time with your kids, do.


Beginning his heart-wrenching emotional essay which has gone viral ever since it was published on September 3, Storment revealed how the couple welcomed their boys eight years ago and founded his company, Cloudability, in the same year. He then revealed acquiring his company just three months ago and losing his dear son three weeks before writing the essay. When I got the call I was sitting in a conference room with 12 people at our Portland office talking about PTO policies, he recalled adding, Minutes earlier, I had admitted to the group that in the last 8 years I’d not taken more than a contiguous week off.


My wife and I have an agreement that when one of us calls, the other answers. So when the phone rang I stood up and walked to the conference room door immediately, continued the post. Storment was shocked to the very core after hearing about the death of his son:  The next thing I know I’m sprinting out the front door of the office with my car keys in hand, running ferociously across the street. Meanwhile, Brandes was the one who discovered the lifeless body of her son. In her post, she recalls checking on Wylie, who she assumed was sleeping in. However, on removing the blanket from his body she "traced the deep purple color of lividity" on her son's body. Her son had been dead for 8 hours. 


I knew I had approximately 4 minutes to explain to Oliver that his best friend had died and 15 people were about to swarm our home. I asked him to pick a location where he would feel safe. Then, sirens, she wrote. The couple then goes on to detail the chaos that followed after this. Their cul-de-sac was packed with emergency vehicles and first-responders, who did not allow the family members anywhere near the body for almost three hours. They confirmed our son’s death using cardiac leads and slowly returned their equipment back to their truck because even an entire truck of life-saving measures couldn’t be used to save this one, wrote Brandes.


Finally, when the couple got a chance to visit their son, there was a chilling calm that suddenly enveloped them. An eerie calm came over me. I laid down next to him in the bed that he loved, held his hand and kept repeating, ‘What happened, buddy? What happened? We stayed next to him for maybe 30 minutes and stroked his hair before they returned with a gurney to take him away, recalled Storment adding, Our time was limited. It was not the way a parent should have to see their child, but it was all we had. We held his hand and fixed his hair and kissed his head until our time ran out.


According to reports, Wylie had been previously diagnosed with a nocturnal form of epilepsy called Benign Rolandic Epilepsy. And these highly trained physicians told his parent he’d suffer no cognitive deficits, that he would outgrow his condition, and that his prognosis was incredibly good. Unfortunately, the kid is believed to have died due to SUDEP (Sudden Unexplained Death of Epilepsy).


Recommended for you