Pregnant Elephant Dies After Being Fed A Pineapple Stuffed With Firecrackers

Pregnant Elephant Dies After Being Fed A Pineapple Stuffed With Firecrackers

The hungry elephant wandered into the village in search of food and that's when she was fed the cracker-laden pineapple.

Image Source:Facebook/Mohan Krishnan

Trigger warning: This story contains details of animal cruelty that readers may find disturbing

In what can only be said as one of the most brutal acts of animal cruelty, an elephant in Kerala died after sustaining injuries as a result of a firecracker bursting in her mouth. The poor animal, which was pregnant, was allegedly offered a pineapple by some locals, reports NDTV. However, the elephant had no idea that the cruel villagers had stuffed the fruit with a firecracker. The pregnant wild elephant in Kerala's Silent Valley Forest chomped down on the pineapple, only to have it explode in her mouth. "Her jaw was broken and she was unable to eat after she chewed the pineapple and it exploded in her mouth," said Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) and Chief Wildlife Warden Surendrakumar.


"It is certain that she was offered the pineapple filled with crackers to eliminate her," he added, according to News18. The incident was reported from the fringe areas in Attapadi, and Surendrakumar added that said the elephant died at Velliyar River in Malappuram district on May 27. It was only during the post mortem that they discovered the gentle giant was pregnant. "I have directed the forest officials to nab the culprit. We will punish him for 'hunting' the elephant," he said. The elephant had basically wandered into the nearest village in search of food. 


That's when she was fed the cracker-laden pineapple. The injuries she suffered were extensive and she couldn't eat or drink anything because of it. Her tongue and mouth were completely destroyed and she roamed around the village in agony. "She trusted everyone. When the pineapple she ate exploded, she must have been shocked not thinking about herself, but about the child she was going to give birth to in 18 to 20 months," wrote forest officer Mohan Krishnan, who was part of the Rapid Response Team to rescue the elephant, on Facebook in Malayalam. 


"She didn't harm a single human being even when she ran in searing pain in the streets of the village. She didn't crush a single home. This is why I said, she is full of goodness," Krishnan added, along with photos of the elephant. She eventully walked up to the Velliyar River and stood there. Photos showed the elephant standing in the river, submerging her mouth and trunk in water, perhaps to get some kind of relief from the unbearable pain. The forest officer said she could have done this to avoid flies and other insects on her injuries.



After trying their best to get her out of the river, the forest officers brought two captive elephants, called Surendran and  Neelakanthan, to lead her out of the river. "But I think she had a sixth sense. She didn't let us do anything," Mohan Krishnan wrote. The forest officers, along with the elephants, tried their best to help her out, but with no luck. Unfortunately, she succumbed to her injuries while standing in the water, at 4 p.m. on May 27.  She was then taken back to the forest where the officials cremated her. 



"She needs to be given the farewell she deserves. For that, we took her inside the forest in a lorry. She lay there on firewood, in the land she played and grew up. The doctor who did her post-mortem told me that she was not alone. I could sense his sadness though the expression on his face was not visible due  to his mask. We cremated her in a pyre there. We bowed before her and paid our last respects," the forest officer said. What a tragedy. 




Disclaimer : This is based on sources and we have been unable to verify this information independently.

Recommended for you