Angel Garcia revealed that her son was born at 26 weeks with premature lungs and that he just came home from the hospital about three weeks ago.
The prolonged power outage in Texas, followed by a massive winter storm over the weekend, has forced the family of an infant, who was born premature, to ration oxygen tanks. Angel Garcia revealed that her son, Christopher, was born at 26 weeks with premature lungs and that he just came home from the hospital about three weeks ago. This is why he requires supplemental oxygen and Angel, who is a nurse by profession, carefully looks after him throughout the day. She treats him using an oxygen machine that converts room air into oxygen using electricity.
I was a preemie and needed heart surgery. Disability and death have been in my rear window my whole life. So many children struggling, suffering, and their parents left crying as the government leaves them in the dust as it didn't even do to me. 😣😣😣— Falco SkyWolf- BirdWordNerd EcoHippie (@FalSkyWolf) February 18, 2021
But the power went out on Monday night and since then, she hasn't been able to use the machine. Thus, the family had to turn towards oxygen canisters that don't require electricity. Unfortunately, they are running short on it now. "We have an oxygen machine that converts room air, but since we’ve had no power, we’ve had to use our cylinders," explained Angel while talking to CNN. "Those went out and they only deliver those once a month. We’re not able to plug in his pulse oximeter to check on his oxygen. We’re keeping a constant eye on him to see how he’s doing."
Meanwhile, Texas senator, Ted Cruz, flew his family to the warmer climes and safety of Mexican luxury resort, Cancún.— Gayle J. Greenlea (@GJGreenlea) February 18, 2021
This Texas family is rationing oxygen for their premature babyhttps://t.co/Zlj5HBs2qf pic.twitter.com/uR5RW4GWCX
As for the rest of her family, including her two children and husband, they are using every possible method to stay warm inside their house. They have also created a makeshift heater using pots raised on bricks above a few candles. Due to the lack of water pressure at home, they have been forced to boil bottled water. Apart from the oxygen canister, they were also running out of wood to burn and so they began using their 3-year-old daughter’s baby blocks to burn in the fireplace. Angel reportedly shared a heartbreaking picture of her daughter watching her toys burn in the fireplace.
How can we help this family with Oxygen?https://t.co/mKjxK5a2RG— I'm Here Live. I'm Not a Cat 😷 (@jwebbstevens) February 19, 2021
"A lot of people don’t know the severity of what’s going on. People are tearing down their fences to burn," expressed Angel unable to contain her tears. "We started burning my daughter’s little wooden blocks because it was just too cold." The mother hopes that everyone realizes the severity of the situation people living in the state are in currently, as they are not accustomed to this kind of extremely cold weather. "Not everyone has gas but we waited in line about an hour and finally we were able to get some gas," she added. "There’s pretty much nowhere to go. Everyone in Texas is in the same boat. If they have electricity, there’s no water. If they have water, there’s no electricity."
Jesus Christ there is going to be so much death if they dont fix this soon. Just saw video of a fire truck near a house on fire, but because theres no water they had nothing to put it out with. video skipped a bit and whole house was burning wtf are the hospitals like there?— ScatterBrainUK💙 (@ScatterBrainUK) February 19, 2021
We previously reported that animals too ended up bearing the brunt of the deep freeze after many residents at the San Antonio Primarily Primates sanctuary froze to death. Monkeys, lemurs, and a chimpanzee were among a few who sadly sent to their death when the power went out during the unforgiving chilly weather. "I never, ever thought my office would turn into a morgue, but it has," said Primarily Primates Executive Director, Brooke Chavez. The 70-acre sanctuary that houses more than 400 primates didn't have power since early Monday. Although Chavez and her team tried to keep the animals warm by collecting space heaters, generators, propane tanks, and blankets, they ultimately decided to evacuate and move them into other shelters.
While executing this new plan, they discovered that many animals had already died due to the cold. "Someone asked me how many animals have died. I don't know yet," she recalled, according to CNN. "I know we lost lots of monkeys, lemurs, and tropical birds." They managed to transport many of its residents to the San Antonio Zoo and a sanctuary near the Oklahoma border. The remaining were taken home by volunteers. But 33 chimpanzees still remain in the sanctuary as it was difficult to transport them.