×
Dog Tragically Dies After Eating Brownies With Xylitol, Owner Warns Other Pet Parents

Dog Tragically Dies After Eating Brownies With Xylitol, Owner Warns Other Pet Parents

Ruby, a Vizsla, stole the brownies that had Xylitol and ate them without her owner, Kate Chacksfield knowing about it. Shortly thereafter, Ruby's health started to rapidly deteriorate and ultimately died due to liver failure.

Ruby, a dog in London died after eating brownies that were mixed with a natural sugar substitute called Xylitol.  Kate Chacksfield, the dog's owner,  is now using this tragedy to make other pet parents aware of the dangers of artificial sweeteners for dogs. The effects of the sugar substitute were not immediate and even Chacksfield did not think much of it since Ruby had brownies before although it was made with natural sugar. "I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs, the photos of her on life support still make me cry. We've had her since she was a puppy and I'm completely lost without her," said Chacksfield to Metro. While she knew chocolate was toxic for dogs, Ruby had snuck brownies made with regular sugar in the past. She had also put small amounts of chocolate in them but it never had a negative effect on the dog.



 

 



 

 

She added, "I only made brownies with Xylitol in to reduce the amount of sugar I was eating. But while I was out, Ruby managed to get into the container off the side in the kitchen and eaten a couple.” But after $13,000 in medical bills for Ruby's treatment, Chacksfield is at a loss for words with the way her dog died. 36 hours after eating the brownies, Ruby's health started to deteriorate rapidly and was taken to a vet at the Royal Veterinary College.



 

 

The dog started showing symptoms of liver failure, but it was too late to save her.  Ruby was adopted when she was just a pup and had been an integral part of Chacksfield's life. It wasn't until Ruby's death that Chacksfield realized her sudden health deterioration was linked to the brownies.



 

 

"We just thought she may have eaten some by mistake in the park or something – it never crossed my mind to mention the brownies," said Chacksfield. While Ruby might be gone, she now wants to make sure that other pet parents don't go through the same ordeal. No one would have imagined that an item that has become a common part of people's kitchens could be so dangerous. Xylitol is found in many items such as sugarfree sweets, spreads, gums, and peanut butters. 



 

 

Chacksfield has cautioned that pet parents need to check the label of the sugarfree products before they proceed to buy and to make sure that products containing xylitol is kept out of reach from their pets.  Chacksfield is now on a mission to spread awareness about the dangers of xylitol and she hopes Ruby’s story will prevent other dogs from suffering the same fate as hers. "It takes just a quarter of a teaspoon of sweetener to harm a dog," she said. Xylitol is not the only human food that can cause serious trouble for your pets. as per People. Dr. Evan Antin, a vet said even foods like onions and garlic, raw meat, grapes and raisins, raw eggs and macadamia nuts are all human foods that are toxic to dogs. 

Recommended for you