It is unclear how Vinny ended up in the curry, but thanks to the vets and assistants at Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital, Vinny was cleaned up properly!
A Wildlife Hospital in the UK recently received a patient they thought was an exotic bird. A few good Samaritans saw the poor orange-colored bird on the side of the highway and figured it was unable to fly, so they took the bird to the hospital, as they were worried about the tropical-looking bird's wellbeing. The kindhearted people took it to Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital to make sure the bird was okay. According to CNN, it was unclear as to what was wrong with the phoenix-like bird, and the rescuers and vets were in a dilemma. Now, imagine their shock when they found out the truth!
It was just a regular seagull that had somehow landed in some curry or turmeric, which is what made it yellow and also made it difficult for the bird to fly. The hospital took to social media platform Facebook to post about their unique find because it obviously had to be shared with the world. They wrote: This is one of the strangest casualty circumstances we have seen in a while! This bright-orange herring gull was rescued by kind members of the public who spotted him at the side of the A41.
When they called to say they had picked up an orange bird, we had no idea what to expect – and would never have guessed at this! He had somehow gotten himself covered in curry or turmeric! It was all over his feathers, preventing him from flying properly. We have no idea how he got into this predicament but thankfully, apart from the vibrant color and pungent smell, he was healthy. It's got to be curry, then? Would turmeric give out such a pungent smell?
Our veterinary team bravely bathed the gull (now named Vinny after a Vindaloo curry) to clean off his feathers. He managed to cover them in curry water but eventually did let us scrub him clean. He is now looking much better and should be able to go for release very soon! As we say, we never know what will come through our doors next! Huge thanks to the lovely finders who stopped to rescue him. Also, how cute is Vinny?
A lot of people were just glad that they managed to get the bird to the hospital and that Vinny was now safe, but one person actually compared Vinny's situation to their fake tan. I can only think of Ross Geller's tan situation in F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Pearl Floyd commented: I had a fake tan like that once x never again lol. Phillip Savoie added: I use to push barges from New Orleans to Alabama I have seen them pink green and yellow they had no problem flying never figured how they got these colors.
What's surprising is that this is not the first time a seagull has needed help cleaning some curry off it. In 2016, a hungry seagull was trying to fend for itself and scavenge meat from an outdoor food factory bin when it fell into a waste vat of chicken tikka masala, according to CNN. The seagull had to be rescued by workers at the factory and was picked up by a volunteer from Vale Wildlife Hospital & Rehabilitation Centre in Gloucestershire, England. They cleaned the bird up using washing-up liquid.
Lucy Kells, a veterinary nurse took to Facebook to write: Anyone fancy a curry? This poor chap did! Sadly he was enjoying it so much he fell in! We've cleaned him up and he is doing well, with no upset tummy! Hopefully, he'll stick to a much more bland diet in the future! I don't think any of us have experienced such an orange greasy gull to deal with before... but boy did he smell good! ;)