The couple took to their official Instagram handle to make the announcement, adding that they will now be splitting their time between North America and the UK.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are in the news, yet again, as they announced that they will be stepping back as "senior" royals and work to become financially independent, according to BBC. The couple took to their official Instagram handle to make the announcement, adding that they will now be splitting their time between North America and the UK. This decision also means that they will no longer receive taxpayer funding. It looks like no one else from the Buckingham Palace, including The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, and Kate were consulted before they went public with their decision and that seems to have ticked the palace off.
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year is starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment."
"We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honor our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity."
"We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” The royal couple's decision comes just after they stated in an interview last year that all the untrue media reports about the two of them had taken a toll on their personal lives.
Merely a few hours after the announcement was made, Buckingham Palace released a short statement that seemed to indicate that they were completely unprepared for this bit of information. They wrote: "Discussions with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through."
A statement from Buckingham Palace regarding The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. https://t.co/1qtTEHiIq6— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) January 8, 2020
BBC's royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said the fact palace officials said they were "disappointed" is "pretty strong". "I think it indicates a real strength of feeling in the palace tonight - maybe not so much about what has been done but about how it has been done - and the lack of consultation I think will sting. This is clearly a major rift between Harry and Meghan on one part and the rest of the Royal Family on the other."