People Are Sealing Themselves Into Bin Bags As Part Of 'Vacuum Challenge' And It's So Dangerous

People Are Sealing Themselves Into Bin Bags As Part Of 'Vacuum Challenge' And It's So Dangerous

This new viral challenge shows people sitting inside a plastic bag while another person uses a vacuum to suck all the air out - the whole thing looks fun but it could be dangerous.

It's been a while since a viral trend has hit the social media platforms. Nonetheless, when something really funny is introduced to the netizens they cannot help but replicate it no matter how dangerous its repercussions may be. The Vacuum Challenge, as the name suggests literally involves vacuum sealing oneself in a plastic bag. While the challenge itself is a simple one, it could potentially lead to strangulation but is anyone even concerned about that? Sourcing from the U.K., the trend has managed to secure a global position with everyone trying to seal themselves in bin bags. 


If you're up to date with the current challenge you must have seen people using a vacuum cleaner to suck all the air out of the plastic trash bag that people are sitting inside. Netizens are finding the way the plastic deflates and assumed the shape of their body a rather hilarious sight to behold, but the important question here is about its safety. To be honest, the humor behind being stuck inside a plastic bag is beyond me and many experts have shown their concern when they saw children being put in these bags with nothing but their head popping out of it reports Yahoo News. The sudden pressure created inside the bag could lead to cerebral hypoxia. 


The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke explains what cerebral hypoxia exactly is. They define this as a condition that is caused due to the decrease of oxygen supply to the brain even though there is adequate blood flow. The website lists the following actions which could lead to this: "Drowning, strangling, choking, suffocation, cardiac arrest, head trauma, carbon monoxide poisoning, and complications of general anesthesia can create conditions that can lead to cerebral hypoxia." They further explain how even a mild case of cerebral hypoxia could cause loss of memory, inattentiveness, poor judgment and a decrement in motor coordination.



"Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation and can begin to die within five minutes after oxygen supply has been cut off," the website adds. If this condition lasts for "longer periods of time, it can cause coma, seizures, and even brain death.  In brain death, there is no measurable activity in the brain, although cardiovascular function is preserved.  Life support is required for respiration." This puzzling trend creates a seal around a person's body and as soon as the bag is airtight they tend to topple over which could easily cause them to injure their limbs as they are unable to move during that time.



A quick search of the #vacuumchallenge will show you how people are exhilarated to take part in this trend which requires a person to operate the vacuum. The most concerning thing is the involvement of children in this challenge. According to Latestly, a teenager tried his hand at this challenge but failed miserably. He successfully trapped himself inside the vacuum sealed plastic and because no one was around, he was trapped in for two hours until his parents arrived and got him out of there. 



Of course, this isn't the first time a bizarre and dangerous challenge like this has hit the internet. A while back, people were completely invested in the cheese throwing challenge which didn't make any sense and surely enough it grabbed the attention of everyone around the world. Let's not forget the 48-hour challenge which urged people to disappear for two days and scare their family to death! I mean c'mon that's not at all funny! Finally, the Bird-box challenge had to be the dumbest challenge of this year with only the vacuum challenge surpassing its undeniable level of stupidity. 

In addition to these trends, there was yet another that peaked in April when teenagers dared each other to eat food items without removing the packaging and were obviously warned by doctors. But who's listening? Why would anyone eat unpeeled lemons or the outer cardboard box along with the cereals? Well, here comes rationality. If we don't eat undigestable items in our daily routine there has to be a reason right? Despite several warnings made by medical experts, netizens seem to turn a deaf ear. You have to remember that it's only fun until things go horribly wrong. Why take that chance for a few seconds of fame? 

Twitter was quick to respond to this:














Recommended for you