“I couldn’t wait to see her when I got out of the hospital,” Manteufel said while accompanied by his wife, Dawn. “We don’t want people to be scared of their dogs because of what happened to me," he added.
There's no better feeling on Earth than when you come back home after a long day and spend some time with your pupper. It makes you feel good and happy, especially when they lick your face because that shows how much they love you. However, that lick of love turned out to be fatal to one person who may have lost his arms, legs, and nose after contracting a deadly infection, according to People. Greg Manteufel experienced the unthinkable when he was forced to have his legs and hands amputated after he contracted a rare blood infection from a dog’s lick a year ago.
Wisconsin man may have his dog’s bacteria to blame for his rare loss of limbs— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) September 29, 2019
But despite losing parts of his arms, legs and nose, Greg Manteufel is standing by his dog.https://t.co/ghgFOZK7dv
Life as he knew it has changed significantly since then, and he even lost a part of his face, but Greg says he harbors no ill feelings towards his pitbull, Ellie — even though she may have caused him to get sick. In fact, Greg reveals that he loves her just the same. “We love her like she’s our daughter,” Manteufel said of the pit bull to Time. To this day, Ellie remains faithfully by Manteufel’s side, cuddling with him in the bed and sitting by his feet at the dinner table.
Greg Manteufel lost parts of his arms and legs due to a germ that rarely affects people. Capnocytophaga is found in the saliva of cats and dogs and almost never leads to people getting sick https://t.co/eQ0h08RaC7 pic.twitter.com/VD7TgOhN0x— NEWS 1130 (@NEWS1130) September 27, 2019
“She loves kids. She loves puppies. Other dogs,” Manteufel told Time. He then added that Ellie has licked him after his amputation and he's been fine. On June 26, 2018, Manteufel, a painter from West Bend, Wisconsin, was rushed to the hospital after he said he experienced a fever and weakness in his limbs. That's when doctors discovered Manteufel had contracted a blood infection caused by capnocytophaga, a bacteria found in the mouths of dogs and cats, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Gravely ill, Greg Manteufel lost parts of his arms and legs, as well as the skin of his nose. The cause was a germ from a dog's mouth. https://t.co/1ClO28FoTn— Cleveland 19 News (@cleveland19news) September 27, 2019
However, Manteufel and his family decided not to get Ellie tested for the capnocytophaga germ. The dog lover said he was also around a lot of other dogs, and it's not just Ellie, so he's not sure if the Ellie was the sole carrier for the germs. He wasn't sure if Ellie was the one responsible, and even if she was, it was not going to make a difference to him. “We weren’t going to get rid of her if it was her that caused it anyway,” Manteufel told Time. “We just love her to death.”
A deadly bacteria found in dogs' mouths cost Greg Manteufel his limbs and nose. https://t.co/KIA7OzgI02— Men's Health Mag (@MensHealthMag) December 6, 2018
But, he's done with taking risks, so he's being tested to see if he is suspectable to getting infected again. He also hopes that doctors can pinpoint why he got infected so to help others avoid going through what he went through. While the capnocytophaga bacteria doesn’t cause harm to the animals if it's present in their saliva, if it’s spread to humans through saliva — which is extremely rare as the CDC notes — it can cause fevers, diarrhea, headaches, and vomiting.
Greg Manteufel's legs were amputated below the knees due to an infection that may have been caused by a dog lickhttps://t.co/gi1gEmmSt7— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) August 2, 2018
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the infection can also lead to “severe sepsis and fatal septic shock, [and] gangrene of the digits or extremities.” Manteufel underwent numerous amputations while in the hospital to save his life, which left him without his forearms, legs, and parts of his nose. But, even through all the painful procedures he underwent, his heart longed to go home and see Ellie.
“I couldn’t wait to see her when I got out of the hospital,” Manteufel said while accompanied by his wife, Dawn. “We don’t want people to be scared of their dogs because of what happened to me," he added. Despite the circumstances, Manteufel previously told PEOPLE that he understands what happened to him is rare so will always be a dog lover. He understands that it is not Ellie's fault.
A verified GoFundMe has raised nearly $70k to support Greg Manteufel—the man whose legs & hands had to be amputated following contact with a dog's saliva. https://t.co/DHAXLPEhFg— GoFundMe (@gofundme) August 2, 2018
“I’ve been around dogs my whole life, having them lick at me in my face and hands and everywhere,” he explained. “The doctors told me I could have probably hit the lottery five times that day before I should have got what I got that day from a dog.” He is now getting used to his new life with prosthetics. He shared he has the kind with metal moveable hooks at the end, and they allow him to use forks and he can even open doorknobs, cut vegetables and use a TV remote. He will also be undergoing surgery to get a perfect nose.