After the neighbors noticed the distressing condition of the dog, they managed to remove the cable ties allowing her to breathe properly.
A heartless man who tied his German Shepherd's snout shut with a cable tie for hours walked free from court. Back in March, the unidentified 48-year-old owner of a puppy named Chloe left the pooch in a helpless situation in the backyard of his Mt Gambier home in South Australia reports 7 News. It was only after the man's neighbors who noticed Chloe's plight that the authorities in the area were alerted about the poor animal being bound to a rope with a cable tie restraining her mouth. Thankfully, a member of the public managed to free the pup's snout and rescue her.
On arriving at the scene, police officers saw the distressed pooch was experiencing difficulty in breathing. According to a report by Daily Mail, Chloe hurried towards a plastic pool filled with water to cool her body temperature as soon the neighbors freed her. They also provided her some water to drink. Now, the man who cannot be named for legal reasons faces charges of ill-treating an animal under the Animal Welfare Act. Dr. Brad Ward, the RSPCA South Australia's Chief Veterinarian, explained that dogs need to breathe through their mouths in order to regulate the temperature of their bodies.
"Panting is the main way in which dogs cool their bodies, because unlike us they do not have an effective system of sweat glands," shared Ward whilst adding, "If you prevent a dog from cooling its body in this way, you put it at extreme risk of overheating, particularly in warm weather. Dogs must be able to cool themselves through their mouths, not to mention be able to drink and eat with ease." When the matter reached the court, the unnamed man's lawyer defended his client saying the whole incident was nothing but an accident. The defense lawyer further argued that Chloe's owner had restrained her snout in the morning and somehow forgot to remove it before leaving for work.
RSPCA slams owner who tied German Shepherd's snout shut with cable tie https://t.co/9MSHNttaXo— Helen Stewart 🐾 (@PetsLovePeople) 4 October 2019
However, this reason didn't change the fact that Chloe's snout was shut for a good four hours causing the helpless animal to be in a distressing state before being rescued. After examining the whole case, Magistrate John Fahey decided to give the cruel owner a good behavior bond in the sum of $200 for a period of 15 months. Fahey also instructed him to pay $1,600 to cover the veterinarian bills and legal costs. The unidentified man has been banned from owning any animal for a minimum of two years, and Chloe has been placed in another home where she would get the care and love she deserves.
Understandably, social media was having none of it. This is what some of them had to say about it:
Despicable— Maria Da Costa Timineri (@MariaFtimaCost3) 4 October 2019
Disgraceful!— Jo (@MoJo290162) 4 October 2019
Cable tie his neck— Dog House (@6TimesMate) 4 October 2019
😠— slyph63 (@slyph63) 5 October 2019
Disgusting!— Human dustbin (@DustbinHuman) 4 October 2019