The 75-year-old actor best known for starring in Robert Rodriguez's "Spy Kids" and "Machete" rescued a baby trapped in an overturned car after a collision at a Los Angeles intersection.
Actor Danny Trejo who is famous for playing tough macho roles on-screen became a timely savior when he rescued a baby trapped in an upturned car. Authorities reported that two cars crashed Wednesday in the Sylmar neighborhood of Los Angeles. In a video aired by KABC-TV, Trejo is seen present at the crash scene as he helped rescue a young special-needs child trapped in an overturned car.
The Los Angeles Fire Department told KABC that three people were taken to a hospital and there were no life-threatening injuries. The fire department's spokesperson, Margaret Stewart, said that by the time emergency personnel was on the scene, drivers and passengers had successfully exited their vehicles.
According to the footage and the report, Trejo crawled into the overturned wreckage from one side and tried to free the child, but he couldn't unbuckle the child's car seat from that angle. That's when another bystander, a young woman, crawled in from the other side of the overturned vehicle and was able to undo the buckle. Trejo was then able to get the baby out of the car seat and pulled safely from the wreckage.
According to Trejo, it appeared that the accident was caused by one driver running a red light. He shared a video of himself and the other hero of the day, the young lady who unfastened the seat belt, discussing the accident on his Instagram page.
Inside the overturned car, "there was a baby inside and a grandma," Trejo told ABC7. With help from a female bystander who unbuckled the child's seat belt, Trejo said, "I pulled the (trapped) baby out the other side."
He doesn't forget where he came from, his roots. These days, when people become rich and successful, they bash their communities... They should instead invest in them and help them, so they can have the way for others to rise as well.— Humble 🎓 (@JayyOP_) August 8, 2019
"The only thing that saved the little kid was his car seat," Trejo told a photographer on the scene. He said that while the firefighters were working to free the woman, he was trying to distract the boy from the scene. He said he works with special-needs children so he knew how to keep the little boy calm.
"He was panicked. I said OK we have to use our superpowers. So he screamed 'superpowers' and we started yelling 'superpowers'. I said do this, with the muscles. He said 'muscles.' We got kind of a bond. I kept facing him away from the accident".
Not only is @officialDannyT (Danny Trejo) one of the nicest actors, he’s also a #hero!— Veronica Miracle (@ABC7Veronica) August 8, 2019
He was right behind a crash in Sylmar and pulled a special needs baby out of an overturned car. He distracted the boy until grandma was OK. ♥️ —> https://t.co/tS2Za4bZVZ@ABC7 pic.twitter.com/U9iLzAkHkA
Trejo is dedicated to helping others: He became a drug counselor after he got out of prison, and he still works for a rehab center as director of patient relations. "Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else," Trejo told KABC.
"Everything." Now isn't that sweet to hear! It's often a surprising thing that the actors who play the meanest roles on-screen are often the gentlest of souls in their private lives. Trejo even had some free and friendly advice for motorcyclists and parents in general, 'Pay attention,'" he said.
"Everything good that has happened to me has been a direct result of helping someone else!". This is what America should be about!!!— Shakti7457 (@Shakti74572) August 8, 2019
Reminder: Danny Trejo is 75 and out here rescuing children from overturned cars. Heroism is ageless, timeless, and packs some badass tattoos. pic.twitter.com/ANzJsHvQyh— LaToya Morgan (@MorganicInk) August 8, 2019
According to the Association for Safe International Road Travel, nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year. That's an average of 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. It was also found that more than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.
In the US alone, over 37,000 people die in car crashes each year. According to the data, only 15 percent of fatal car accidents occur near intersections — the other 85 percent occur on the open road. On the flip side, the vast majority of nonfatal car accidents occur within 25 miles of home.