Grandfather Beaten To Death For Asking Man To Turn Down Music In Starbucks Parking Lot

Grandfather Beaten To Death For Asking Man To Turn Down Music In Starbucks Parking Lot

69-year-old Robert Ketner was enjoying his morning coffee when 20-year-old River Baumann arrived at the parking lot blasting music in his car.

Image Source: Getty Images/Alys Tomlinson (Representative)

A California grandfather died days after he was allegedly beaten up by a young man in a Starbucks parking in Rocklin. 69-year-old Robert Ketner was enjoying his morning coffee outside the outlet when 20-year-old River Baumann arrived in his vehicle blasting music last week. Ketner confronted the young man and asked him to turn the music down hardly expecting that this would end with him being punched. "He was kind of sitting outside, drinking his latte when the vehicle of some sort came by," a relative, who requested not to be identified, told the outlet. "It was like really loud music; people were complaining about it. So, he pointed out, like, which car it was and asked them to turn their music down."


Police say that Ketner sustained a critical injury to his head after Baumann's punch forced him to fall on to the ground and hit his head. According to the news station KOVR, the elder man became unconscious as a result of his head injury. He was immediately rushed to the hospital and had to be placed on life support. Sadly, he died four days later, reported KTLA5. Cops initially identified Baumann as the suspected assaulter and arrested him in connection with the dispute. But after the retiree's death, Baumann was charged with voluntary manslaughter. "Whatever the argument was, no one deserves to lose their life," said Rocklin police Corporal Zack Lewis according to New York Post. "So, it’s a sad thing that we have to experience this."


Heartbreakingly crimes against the elderly have become far too common and it's beyond my understanding how young people don't hesitate to hit someone who is physically way weaker than them. Last year, a horrifying video surfaced on the internet of a 78-year-old woman who became a victim of an unprovoked brutal attack. It happened during the early hours of the morning when it was still dark outside on the northbound No. 2 train. The elderly woman could be seen in the footage sitting in a corner by herself and minding her own business. Suddenly, a man arrives, holds the overhead rail for support, and begins violently kicking the helpless woman in the face and torso repeatedly. The man, identified as Marc Gomez, hit the woman with such force that she could be seen recoiling on impact. Not only did this attack come out of nowhere, but it rained down on the woman without pause. 


The frail woman did not even get a chance to fully raise her hand to protect her face or chest properly as the suspect laid several kicks in quick succession. After Gomez grew tired of brutally assaulting the woman, he can be heard asking the terrified lady, "Who the f**k you was talking to?" before quickly walking towards the exit of the train. What's all the more painful is the fact that bystanders simply watched on and some even captured the heart-wrenching episode just to achieve a few moments of virality, instead of intervening and aiding the defenseless. Moments before deboarding the train, the man turned towards one of the passengers who was filming the unfortunate event, and nonchalantly announced, "Worldstar that my n****r."


No one made attempts to stop the man as he ruthlessly kicked the woman and this was deeply concerning. Abuse of any kind should not be tolerated, especially the ones where the victim is unable to stand up for themselves. Unfortunately, we tend to be oblivious to the fact that tomorrow the victim could be any one of our loved ones, and you would want people to step up and intervene. Shockingly, not a single person raised their voice against the man, let alone restrain him. It's a shame that Gomez walked off the train with no remorse. What's more, no one even bothered to help the lady until she got off the train at Wakefield 241st Street station which was the last stop. Authorities were notified after that and the old lady finally received the medical attention she needed. Thankfully, officers did an excellent job of getting a hold of Gomez, who is believed to be in his forties. He was charged with two counts of second-degree assault, and third-degree assault and harassment. 

Recommended for you