A woman from Glasgow, who had been viciously scratched by a cat in her garden, lost her finger and developed a harmful infection from the injuries she sustained.
Moira Brady from Glasgow, Scotland developed the deadly MRSA and Streptococcus-A infection after a feral stray cat scratched her in her own garden. Poor Brady said that the experience nearly took her life as she lost a finger from her left hand due to the attack. Reports say that the bacterial infection has started to spread through her body and has begun to shut down her kidneys already. She started to develop toxic shock attacks and her doctors affirmed that she is lucky to still be alive.
Brady, who is from Glasgow's Baillieston area, spent over a month in the city's Royal Infirmary due to this vicious attack. Assessing her prognosis and the needs of her current state of health, she will definitely require more surgery in the near future. She already has two skin grafts on her arm, from the attack. According to her, the cat that scratched her had been fighting with another feline on a trampoline in her garden.
Glasgow mum's warning to pet owners after cat scratch nightmare— The Evening Times (@TheEveningTimes) July 21, 2019
Warning: this article contains graphic material https://t.co/0xxBmI2jlC
She spoke to SWNS saying that, "the doctors had to take half of my finger off and then took the rest of it off. The infection went right through my body. They said I could have died or lost my whole hand. The surgeon stayed five and a half hours after his shift to save my life and I had to have a blood transfusion. He said to me I was very lucky. The number of people I've spoken to who couldn't believe this happened after getting a cat scratch. It's ruined my life. I can't do everyday things now like taking food out of the oven."
Dr. Emilia Crighton, Consultant in Public Health and Head of Health Services Section, NHSGGC gave her medical expertise on the case. "If it is just a scratch clean the area and only seek medical attention if it gets infected. If it is an actual bite and the skin has been broken I would advise people to seek medical attention as the area could become infected. Your own GP or local pharmacy would be the first, easy to reach, point of contact." she said.
When it comes to danger to humans there are some kinds of lice that can pass from the cat to a person, the worms even though it is not common, rabies and infections from bites or scratches. Cats can be quite aggressive so if you decide to approach a stray cat use a good amount of caution. Like all animals, feral cats can carry parasites and diseases which can be transmitted to humans, known as zoonosis. These included toxoplasmosis, giardiasis, rabies, and campylobacter. None of these infections are to be taken lightly so make sure you exercise caution and have anti-parasitic and cleansing methods at your disposal at all times.
Often, you hear more serious cases of dog bites and attacks. Cats are not so frequent in their violent exchanges with humans, but if in the event that you or someone else has been attacked by a stray or feral cat, assess the wound immediately. If it's a mild scratch, washing it with soap and water should suffice. If necessary, a clean, dry gauze pad can be held to the wound until it stops bleeding. Apply an over-the-counter antibiotic cream to the wound with a dry, clean bandage, and allow to heal. If it's serious, like Dr. Crighton said, seek expert medical attention as soon as possible.