×
Pet Owner Left Furious After Groomer Dyes Her Dog Green And Pink Without Her Permission

Pet Owner Left Furious After Groomer Dyes Her Dog Green And Pink Without Her Permission

"I almost cried," said Graziella Puleo, when her puppy returned from the dog spa with green and pink dye all over her ears and eyebrows.

When Graziella Puleo from Lake Worth, Florida sent her pet dog 'Lola' to 'Amore’s Pet Salon Dog Grooming Day Care Boarding Spa', all she expected was simple and general maintenance. What she got in return was quite the shock of her life. Her adorable little Goldendoodle came back from the dog spa with floppy pink ears and neon green eyebrows.



 

 

"I almost cried,” Puleo told The Palm Beach Post in an article published Saturday. She claims that she took Lola to the spa so that she could give her hair and nails a neat trim, and also have her teeth cleaned. When Lola came back, however, not only was her teeth still unclean and her hair and nails still unclipped, but she had a neon green dye over both her eyebrows and a rich pink one on her ears... Wait, what?

“I noticed they’d shaved her eyebrows off and tried to fix the mistake by drawing green eyebrows on her,” Puleo told the news outlet. “She looks like you painted on her and were trying to turn her into a clown.”



 

 

Dyeing your dog can be safe and cause no harm if done right. However, if you are going to dye your dog's fur, it is important to use the right dye.  Always remember that anything you put your dog is likely to be consumed when they lick their fur. So, in that regard, human dyes are not meant for ingestion and are very toxic. 



 

 

“I saw my dog come out the back room with green eyebrows and pink ears,” Puleo said. “When I asked [the groomer] why she dyed her hair, her response was she felt the dog was missing something. She offered to take it off for me but I just wanted to take my dog home.” 



 

 

What's worse is that there was a shade of pink on the dog's underside, but not from the colored dye but an infection that had developed. Puelo reported that she had to then take Lola to a veterinarian to get the infection treated. “The vet said she got the infection from her having the open wound and bacteria getting into it,” Puleo said.



 

 

The owner of the dog spa, Raquel Adams, returned the $150 grooming fee to Puelo, and offered complimentary services, according to The Palm Beach Post. Adams told the news outlet she "wanted to make [Puelo] happy.". “The young lady, she’s very sweet. We wanted to make her happy,” Adams said Monday. “We beautify the dog... If we see it’s missing something, we do color, sometimes, the dog.”

“We did wrong about the color. We should have offered her first,” she said, adding that the dyed areas could be trimmed with a scissor. As for Lola’s belly, “She’s infected because she’s licking and doesn’t give it a chance to heal.”  Fox News reported that oxAmore’s Pet Salon Dog Grooming Day Care Boarding Spa did not return their calls requesting further comments.  



 

 

What we can learn from this is that to never use human hair dye on your pet in general. These dyes can be toxic if ingested -- not something people are prone to do, but licking their fur is natural behavior for canines. Human hair dyes contain various chemicals that can make your dog sick.



 

 

Aside from that, if you are taking your dog to a special spa to have it groomed with a dye, you have to ensure the product used is certified and safe-to-use. Lastly, ensure that you are keeping a close watch on the dog for a few hours until the dye dries up, lest it not ingest it accidentally. 

Recommended for you