Endangered Pygmy Elephant Shot 70 Times, Tusks Cut Off By Poachers

Endangered Pygmy Elephant Shot 70 Times, Tusks Cut Off By Poachers

A post-mortem revealed the elephant was shot 70 times at a close range and it was also shot by one bullet that pierced its left temple, killing it.

An endangered Borneo pygmy elephant was reportedly found dead and riddled with 70 bullets in Malaysia after it was killed by poachers for its tusks. This gruesome discovery unearths the recent death in the ever-declining population of elephants, according to Fox News. Poachers target the mighty beast for their tuskers which are worth quite a lot in the market. According to the international conservation group WWF, there are only 1,500 Borneo pygmy elephants left, making them an endangered species. Augustine Tuuga, the wildlife department director in Sabah state on Malaysian Borneo, said the cruel attack was “not common.” 


He also added that the poachers were likely locals and that the attack on the poor elephant did not look professional at all. Elizabeth John, a spokesman for the wildlife trade monitoring group Traffic, said despite increased killings of pygmy elephants, there have been no arrests. “Identifying and bringing those responsible for the killings to justice is key to tackling this threat,” she told AFP. “We hope investigations don’t stop at just this case, there is a high chance this is linked to others.”


The male elephant that was shot was found floating in a river in Sabah, a region of Malaysia, on Wednesday last week after fishermen noticed its corpse tied to a tree, reports Daily Mail. A post-mortem revealed that the elephant was shot 70 times at a close range, and it was also shot by one bullet that pierced its left temple, killing it. According to the examiners, it is impossible to know in which order the bullets entered the elephant's body or how long it suffered. 


However, they did add that the elephant did die instantly, as a result of being shot in the temple. Sabah Wildlife Department director Augustine Tuuga said the animal's death was "cruel", regardless of how long it suffered for. Videos taken upon the corpse's discovery shows that the elephant was mostly submerged in murky brown water and tied to the bank by a string. Authorities were alerted by the fishermen who then had to fetch heavy machinery from a nearby farm in order to get the body on to the shore.


It was then taken for a post-mortem, which confirmed that the tusks had been sawed away, the Straits Times reported. Police believe this was the work of a team of four or five poachers and they are on the lookout. All the remaining 1,500 Borneo elephants are now protected under Malaysian law and found guilty of killing one of the animals could be jailed for five years or face a fine up to $60,000. 


People were appalled by what had been done to the elephant. Linda Meranus wrote on Facebook: I’m sick to my stomach. What kind of human being does this to a beautiful product of nature? I never want to even venture to understand it is beyond disgraceful. Victoria Carter added: We are dealing with a sick society people are getting evil, more and more, I to can't believe that humans would want to kill these beautiful animals or any other animals. Whoever is responsible for killing this elephant should be found and brought to justice for the killing of this elephant and could also be responsible for others that have been killed, I hope the people will be founded and be prosecuted to the fullest.


Disclaimer : This is based on sources and we have been unable to verify this information independently.

Recommended for you