×
Dog Dies After Eating Brownies With Sugar Substitute, Owner Warns Pet Parents

Dog Dies After Eating Brownies With Sugar Substitute, Owner Warns Pet Parents

Ruby snuck out and snacked on two brownies. Little did she know that the delicious treat was going to cost her, her life.

Image Source: Facebook/Kate Chacksfield

Pet parents love their pets like kids, but just one small lapse of judgment, a small error, can prove to be fatal for them. Thus, the only thing more devastating than losing your beloved pet is knowing that you could have prevented their death. According to People, dog owner Kate Chacksfield's beloved dog Ruby passed away in February 2019 after consuming brownies sweetened with xylitol. Chacksfield, who was once consumed with grief, is now using her pain to help educate other pet owners on the dangers of the natural sweetener.



 

Metro reports that Ruby sneaked in to get some of those brownies and she had two of them at one go. Xylitol is toxic for dogs and can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and even death in canines who ingest the sugar alcohol. Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened to Ruby. A mere 36 hours after eating the brownies, Ruby, a Vizla, got sick. Her health deteriorated rapidly over the next week. Ruby remained in the hospital for almost eight days and her medical bills came up close to  $13,000, but she didn't survive. 



 

“I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs, the photos of her on life support still make me cry,” Chacksfield told Caters News Agency. She added that she did not take Ruby to the vet after she consumed the brownies because she had no idea the artificial sweetener was so toxic for dogs. Chocolate is also toxic for dogs, but Chacksfield said that when Ruby had used to snack on stolen brownies made with regular sugar in the past, the small amount of chocolate never really affected her or put her health at risk. “I only made brownies with Xylitol in to reduce the amount of sugar I was eating,” the owner said.



 

Chacksfield also added that she wished she'd known of the dangers of xylitol before she made the brownies because then she would’ve known to take Ruby to the vet immediately after she ingested the treats, instead of waiting till she fell sick. Chacksfield adopted Ruby when she was just a pup. “We just thought she may have eaten some by mistake in the park or something – it never crossed my mind to mention the brownies,” she said. She now hopes that Ruby's tragic story will urge other pet parents to remain careful. “It takes just a quarter of a teaspoon of sweetener to harm a dog,” the owner added.



 

Xylitol is a common substitute for sugar in several sugar-free products like sweets, gums, spreads and peanut butters. Also, it's safe to say that Xylitol is not the only food that is potentially harmful for your fur babies. Some other substances like onions and garlic, grapes and raisins, raw meat, raw eggs, and macadamia nuts are all human foods that are toxic to dogs. All of these foods can cause serious health problems, even death, in dogs. If you think your dog has ingested something toxic or potentially dangerous to their health, take them to the vet immediately, instead of waiting for them to fall sick, because, by then, it could be too late. 



 

Recommended for you