“He’s doing surprisingly well. He’s walking around just fine and as happy as could be. He’s a tough little guy and most definitely a hero."
I've said this plenty times, and I will say it again. We don't deserve dogs. They're honestly the best! They would quite literally risk their lives to save ours. Bear, a cute 11-year-old Yorkshire terrier saved his owners' lives by taking a lethal snake bite just so it wouldn't bite his people. The couple, Devin Diede and his wife, Alex, were hiking last week on Centennial Trail, a route in the Black Hills National Forest, with their pet, Bear. That's when Bear spotted the snake, long before Devin or Alex did. He knew he had to do something about it, or else the snake would end up biting his owners.
So, in his attempt to save them from the snake, he got bitten. "Alex would have stepped on the snake and [it would've] bit her if Bear had not been there to take the bite," Devin told local news station KEVN. Devin added that, at first, they didn't know Bear had been bitten because the snake didn't rattle until after it bit Bear. “He didn’t he didn’t yip or bark” and they couldn’t find the puncture wounds. But, they knew he had to be taken to the vet immediately because he just wasn't putting any weight on his front leg. For two miles, Alex carried her precious baby as fast as she could to head back to the car and to get him to the vet.
It took about an hour and a half to get to the vet, but by the time they got there, he could barely walk. Finally, Bear received the help he needed. “Thankfully, the veterinarians and technicians at the emergency animal clinic in Rapid City were wonderful. The vet took him and immediately started a blood transfusion,” Decin said. He and Alex had to leave Bear at the vet's overnight, and it was truly "heartbreaking" for them. They had no idea if he would make it through the night. The vet then determined that the bite was on his chest near his shoulder, and it was a blessing that there was only one puncture wound.
The following morning, the Vet called them to say that Bear was doing great and that his vitals were improving, as traces of venom from his blood had reduced. They were told that they could soon take their little hero home. “He’s doing surprisingly well. He’s walking around just fine and as happy as could be. He’s a tough little guy and most definitely a hero,” Devin said. This isn't the first instance where a dog has saved its owner's life. We had previously reported that a pit bull rescued his owner James White after he was bitten on the leg by a shark near the shore at Bodega Bay in Sonoma County.
The horrifying incident took place when White was fishing from the shore. “It was about 10 minutes. The only way I think I was able to get the line back is because it was swimming towards me,” said White. The owner, however, was not expecting a 6-foot long seven gill. White, who realized he caught a shark wanted to remove the hook from it. But the shark fell on to the ground and unexpectedly bit White's angle. The pooch who was in the car, heard his owner's scream for help and somehow managed to get out of the car and rush to his owner's aid. The smart pooch somehow managed to help his owner, and he threw the shark back into the ocean.
White says he is super proud of Darby and that he didn't know his little pupper was capable of such heroic acts. After the incident, he told the outlet that his love for the pooch got stronger. “He’s been a part of the family from day one. Just now a little more. If it wasn’t for him I would have been a lot worse,” White told the outlet. White also explained Darby’s heroic act has been dubbed a “fish tale.” “The first time I told somebody this, they were like, ‘You’re out of your mind, there’s no way that happened,'” White told NBC Bay Area. “Then I showed him the pictures and I’m like, ‘No, it absolutely happened,'” White added of his brutal scars.