Helen and James Hartley returned home after a day of work only to find their pooch in pain due to her swollen tongue.
TRIGGER WARNING: Graphic Images
A traumatized couple is now warning fellow pet owners about leaving their dogs unsupervised after their beloved Labrador's tongue was nearly chopped in half while playing with a rubber toy ball. Horrific images of the damages caused due to this supposed "dog-friendly" toy show huge chunks of Poppy's tongue missing from either side. According to a report by New York Post, Helen and James Hartley returned home after a day of work only to find their pooch acting strangely. She was immediately brought to the Foxhall Veterinary Clinic in Ruskington, Lincolnshire, where the experts noticed that her swollen tongue caused due to the lack of blood flow.
Apparently, Poopy's tongue was stuck in the air hole of a rubber ball which she was able to retrieve after wrestling for a long time. Unfortunately, this caused some marking to appear on her tongue which was pink and warm to touch. After providing her some medications, the veterinarian advised Poppy's parents to bring her in for daily check-ups. Eventually, the red lines on her tongue turned into bruising which began smelling foul due to white plaque formation over the surface. Over the course of a week, it turned necrotic leaving Poppy with two huge slits on either side of her tongue.
Due to the reaction, half her tongue seemed to be hanging by only a central thread of flesh. Soon the vets decided to stitch it back up. During the surgery, the experts removed all the remaining dead tissues on Poppy's tongue and joined the healthy portions together with the main flesh. Thankfully Poppy is now in her recovery phase, with the vets sharing her story as a warning on the dangers of leaving one's pet unattended. According to a report by Daily Mail, Poppy's mom Helen shared this traumatic incident and wrote: [It was] really traumatic for us all. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for looking after Poppy. She's been so well-loved by everybody at the surgery and we couldn't have asked for a more dedicated team. Well done to you all, Poppy sends sloppy kisses."
A spokesperson from Foxhall Veterinary Clinic said, "The surgery was successful and our nurses couldn't believe it when Poppy ate and drank as soon as she woke up. We're happy to report that Poppy's tongue has pretty much healed now, she is using her tongue normally to drink and can still give plenty of kisses. The stitches are in place but will eventually dissolve. We've all grown very attached to Poppy here at Foxhall and we will miss her daily visits. Poppy's owners wanted us to share her story to highlight the dangers of leaving your dog unattended with toys, no matter how innocent they seem."