Reddit trolled the bride for being so demanding with some even advising the groom to cancel the wedding.
Giving gifts to married couples is an age-old tradition. The regular gifts varied with time until wedding registries came along. Couples created registries to avoid getting gifts that were of practically no use to them. Registries were convenient. The couple would make a list of things they want, and invite their friends and family to choose what they'd like to gift them. It was a win-win for everyone. It's even common to ask for kitchenware or home decor items. However, some couples can be quite demanding though, which always causes a bit of controversy. The list of one such couple made it to Reddit, sparking a huge debate and also the wrath of fellow Redditors. It appeared to be a screenshot from Facebook The bride demanded that everyone spend $400 or more on her wedding gifts, which included a car, designer clothes, purses, and even gift cards to high-end stores.
"So we are all aware that my wedding is coming up in October! I would like to announce our gift registry to everyone!" wrote the bride, before listing out a set of things she'd like for as a wedding gift. "To all those coming to my wedding, here is a list of gifts that you can bring. You MUST choose from the list or consult me first. The list includes:
1. Any Kitchen maid appliance over $350, this does NOT mean regular kitchen items like an apron or a spatula. I'm talking about their stand mixer, blender, etc.
2. Any Gucci or Louis Vuitton purses. Other purses are allowed but please consult me first.
3. Any clothes OVER $400 from Calvin Klein, Moschino, or Nora's.
4. New floor tiles for the entire house (I know this one is a bit of a stretch but I'd gladly appreciate it)
5. A new car or a new trim for my car, or anything in relation to the car.
7. $400 or more gift cards to any of the following places: Fifth Sak’s Avenue, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Calvin Klein, Gucci, Whole Foods, Sprouts, maybe even JC Penny. Other places are acceptable but please talk to me first.
8. Any Korean or Asian beauty products totaling $400 or more.
9. Any HIGH-CLASS paintings or decorations totaling $400 or more.
10. A cash gift of $400 or more."
If it weren't clear enough already, she emphasized again that she expected guests to cough up a minimum of $400 for the gifts. "I am expecting everyone to spend AT LEAST $400 on the wedding gifts. I'll accept slightly lower amounts as long as you tell me first. Also, everything on here is first come, first serve," she wrote, before adding that she had attached a spreadsheet where they could "claim" the gifts they wanted to get her. For some reason, she also assumed guests would be fighting with each other to get her expensive gift items. "Remember to apply early if you don't ‘want to get me a Gucci purse or anything you don't want to get!" she concluded.
It's fair to say Redditors weren't amused. "I’ll accept slightly lower amounts as long as you tell me first”. Lol. I’m imagining her throwing $300 gift cards back at people, screaming they need to add an additional $100," commented Linuxbrandon. "She thinks tile is a stretch but a new car is completely reasonable lmao," wrote poopfat13. "Bi*ch is only getting married for the gifts. Groom should run like hell. Same for the guests," commented another. One user volunteered with $20 and popcorn. "I would donate money to any guest of this wedding to go with a $20 gift card and record what happens. The world needs to know," commented another Redditor.