'Friendly' Bear Who Posed For Selfie With Hiker After Sniffing Her Hair Was Caught And Castrated

'Friendly' Bear Who Posed For Selfie With Hiker After Sniffing Her Hair Was Caught And Castrated

A statement said that the bear had to be castrated to avoid him getting into fights with other bears once he is released.

Image Source: Facebook/What's New

Last month, news of a wild bear approaching a female hiker and sniffing her hair while she captured a selfie went viral. A video, recorded at Chipinque Ecological Park in San Pedro Garza Garcia, shows the bear approaching a trio of women and paid special attention to one of the park visitors, as per UPI. However, the bear was reportedly captured and castrated for being "too friendly" reports New York Post. According to officials, the decision to castrate and move the bear was made because it had become too accustomed to human beings. The bear which weighs 212 pounds, was captured by officials from the federal environmental protection agency.


Residents in the area alerted the officials after they spotted the animal sleeping in their back yard. According to the BBC, the friendly bear is also known as Chipi. Veterinarians at the Autonomous University of Nuevo León checked it over and fitted it with a radio collar. The castration is now being investigated by Profepa, the federal environmental protection agency that captured the bear. The agency released a statement in Spanish saying that the decision to castrate the bear was taken by the co-ordinator for wildlife at the university after consulting with Profepa's director-general for wildlife control, Martín Vargas Prieto.


According to the statement, Prieto argues that the bear had to be castrated to avoid him getting into fights with other bears once he is released in the Sierra de Nido mountain range in the state of Chihuahua. Earlier, we had reported that a wild black bear was reportedly killed in Canada because it became too accustomed to human beings. The bear was reportedly lured into the residential area by people who laid out food so that they could take pictures of the animal. The bear, lovingly named Huckleberry, was only around two and a half years old. Huckleberry, our journey together began on July 2. You were eating scraps from an organics cart - the enclosure had been left open, a post on Facebook read.


Even though you were eating, you were very easy to move on. We walked you back to the forest and hoped to see you again on the trails. The next time we met, you were at the roadside eating berries. Residents told us you passed through their property, but you were easily moved on. You were such an easy-going, calm bear. The perfect Deep Cove resident. Reports started coming in of you finding easy rewards from garbage and organics carts. People admitted they allowed you to do that for a video and they neglected to move you on...a death sentence. If only people had used a firm voice with you, you would have listened.


Or respected you enough to not have any garbage or food scraps accessible in the first place. We did you a disservice, Huckleberry. On July 31st the bear was spotted eating berries at the edge of the forest. We headed out to make sure you were not being crowded or chased by dogs. By the time we reached you, you were being followed by residents who wanted a video of you eating organics from an unlocked cart. Due to the crowd of people, it wasn’t safe for us to move you on. When you finished eating, you calmly walked by and left our gaze.  Sadly, that was the last time they saw the gentle giant named Huckleberry. Later that day you were tranquilized by the Conservation Officers and taken away to be killed.


Disclaimer : The views expressed in this article belong to the writer and are not necessarily shared by gomcgill.com

Recommended for you