Hope was an 8-month-old baby zebra that was born at Noah's Ark Zoo Farm in March during the lockdown.
A baby zebra said to be a "ray of light", died last week after it was started by fireworks that were set off before UK's annual Bonfire Night celebrations, a zoo in Bristol, England has said, as per CNN. The zebra, only 8-months-old, was born during the global lockdown in March at Noah's Ark Zoo Farm in southwest England. the zoo said in a statement. She was named Hope by our keepers to symbolize a ray of light and hope at a time which felt so bleak. She became a symbol of positivity to our keepers and many of our visitors alike and she will be very much missed.
Baby zebra named 'Hope' dies at Somerset zoo after being 'spooked' by a firework https://t.co/AxJUAFP9ak— Daily Mail U.K. (@DailyMailUK) November 11, 2020
It is believed that Hope was frightened by the sound of fireworks "from several fireworks displays held locally on the evening of Wednesday 4th November. It appears that the fright caused the animal to bolt and she collided with the boundary of the enclosure." A post-mortem also revealed that her death was caused due to this sudden impact. Managing Director of the zoo, Larry Bush commented “We’re feeling devastated by the loss of our young zebra Hope. She was so full of energy and life and she was a very healthy young zebra. It is such a tragedy that she has lost her life, seemingly as a result of fireworks being set off at nearby events which were intended as a celebration."
This is awful 😢 It's time to ban fireworks, there's no need for them at all.— Lord Robb Stark (@ukboffin1) November 11, 2020
"We know this was not the intention of local organizers and people letting off fireworks but it does demonstrate in a tragic way the impact that fireworks can have on animals – whether this is zebras, horses, native wildlife or pets in our homes.” Jayne Gibbins, a senior keeper at the zoo added. “Her birth was a real high point for us in amongst the challenges of having to close the zoo for three months in support of the national lockdown and we are all feeling her loss greatly.” The zoo shared that their only motivation as a result of this tragic incident is to raise awareness of the dangers of firecrackers.
#BanFirworks Domestic use at all times of day clearly spook domestic pets,vulnerable people,Military Service personnel with PTSD & now kill a Zebra in a UK Zoo. Only authorised Events should be allowed when restrictions allow.🦓🇬🇧💥— Howard Griffiths (@HowardGriffiths) November 11, 2020
As a zoo, we are determined that something good comes out of this and so we feel it is so important that people are aware of what has happened - we hope people will change their views about fireworks and become much more aware of the impact they can have on animals. We would like to use this tragic event as an impetus for change and we really hope that people will now think hard and adopt alternative arrangements like silent fireworks or other more animal-friendly options for their bonfire night celebrations. Fireworks and animals don't bode well together, and this is one prime example of that.
Imagine of we didn't take animals from the wild for own entertainment. No doubt some people will claim fireworks need to be banned so even more animals in the future can die in captivity for their entertainment.— PMA opinions (@PaulMichael2020) November 11, 2020
According to CNN, when frightened, dogs bolt, resulting in owners losing their beloved pets to a mere firework. "Dogs have been known to dig under or jump over fences, break tethers or even shatter windows in response to their fireworks fears," said Temma Martin, the public relations manager for the Best Friends Animal Society, one of the nation's oldest no-kill agencies. In addition, she said in a statement, "some animal control agencies have their officers working on an 'emergencies-only' basis, which means that they only pick up stray animals who are sick, injured or already contained."
They need to Ban them.— Lynda #BanHalal (@cressidatrolius) November 11, 2020