Brave 5-Year-Old Rescued Sister From Burning House, Then Went Back In To Save Family Dog

Brave 5-Year-Old Rescued Sister From Burning House, Then Went Back In To Save Family Dog

On Friday, the Bartow County Fire Department will honor Noah Woods with a rare lifesavers award for his extraordinary feat.

Image Source: Facebook/Bartow County Fire Department

When a 5-year-old from Georgia suddenly woke up he found that his bedroom was on fire. Instead of panicking, Noah Woods bravely saved his entire family and so now he's being named an honorary firefighter. According to CNN, he is set to receive a rare lifesavers award on Friday for his heroic actions. On Sunday, Noah woke up to smoke and flames originating in his bedroom while his entire family of eight, including him, were fast asleep in their Bartow County home in Georgia.



Without wasting any time, the kid jumped out of his bed, grabbed his sister and exited the house through an open window which was the only option at the time. However, he didn't just stop there. The courageous soul then entered the house once again to save the family dog. Following this, he ran towards his uncle's house next door and they together informed the authorities of the crisis. On arriving at the scene, firefighters treated Woods and four other family members for smoke inhalation and minor burns. Authorities revealed post their investigation that the fire began in Woods' bedroom due to an overloaded electrical outlet.



"We've seen children alert their families before. But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this ... that's pretty extraordinary," said Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison applauding Woods' quick-thinking and bravery. Crediting Woods for them still being alive, his grandfather David Woods wrote on a GoFundMe page: By the grace of God, all nine of our loved ones were able to get out of our home. If it wasn't for Noah, we may not be here today. Unfortunately, the family lost their beautiful home in the devastating fire. Hoping to rebuild it again with the help of the community, they set up a GoFundMe.

Representative Image Source: Getty Images


Unfortunately, our home was a total loss. Due to a recent lapse in our home insurance, this has made a difficult situation a little worse. We are planning to rebuild and will likely need to stay in a motel for some time and likely rent a small house while we work to earn funding and build. It s difficult for us to ask for help from our community however, we know this feat is too great for us to achieve alone, reads the GoFundMe Page. As for Woods, he will be recognized as an honorary Bartow County firefighter (a lifesaving award which ordinarily is presented to professional rescuers) by the Bartow County Fire Department on Friday. According to CNN, the news of Woods' feat also reached Georgia Governor Brian Kemp who has sent a letter to be read out by Jamison during Friday's ceremony. 

Recommended for you