"It's disgusting that she has been given a second chance," said the mother, as she revealed that the woman was still working as an emergency operator.
When we call an emergency helpline number, we're desperate for help and we expect them to think straight because we're most likely in a position where we can't do that. Recently, a heartbroken mother revealed that her four-year-old son died because of a "rude and abrupt" NHS 111 operator. The female operator allegedly failed to spot signs that showed the four-year-old was dangerously ill. The mother even told the woman that the boy was also vomiting and lethargic. She also added that there were sudden rashes and shortness of breath. According to Daily Mail, Sherry Keane, from Liverpool, called the health advice line in the middle of the night because she was so worried about her son Jaydan-Lee.
Mother tells how son died after NHS 111 operator failed to spot that rash and shortness of breath meant he was dangerously ill https://t.co/b2vEcKpxTn— Daily Mail U.K. (@DailyMailUK) July 30, 2020
The female call handler, however, failed to spot the signs of the dangerous illness, or call her an ambulance. Sadly, the little boy died the next day from meningococcal septicemia. An investigation into the incident concluded that Jayden-Lee would have survived if only he'd received immediate aid the night this occurred, in June 2016. In an interview, Keane revealed that she was beyond furious to learn the woman was still working with 111, especially considering the fact that she wasn't medically trained to handle such emergencies. "It's disgusting that she has been given a second chance," she said. "My little boy hasn't got a second chance – he's not here because she didn't do her job properly."
I also think a qualified GP needs assigning to 999, a dispatcher isn't qualified to judge who gets the ambulance...— maninthemoon (@maninthemoon3) July 30, 2020
"She was rude and didn't seem to care about my son or his condition. She talked over me, kept interrupting, and was dismissive as if she just wanted the call to end. I was in a state, totally freaked out and worried about my little boy and her manner made me feel like I was a paranoid mother who shouldn't be wasting her time. She didn't listen to me - if she had my little boy would still be here today." Keane received close to 19,622 (£15,000) as compensation after the North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust admitted medical negligence. Now, the mother is suing for further damages.
"No amount of money can bring my little boy back," she said. "But the trust has changed its policy and now the call handlers have to be medically trained. It's too late for my little boy, but I hope my actions will stop another family from having to go through what I had to." The little boy reportedly started to feel sick after he allegedly bumped his head at a bus stop as he traveled home from visiting his grandmother with his mom. "He was a boisterous little boy and was looking around as we waited for the bus and turned and bumped his head," said Keane. "There wasn't a lump or cut on his forehead, just a little red mark, so I wasn't worried."
He seemed to get better after this, but soon started to fall sick the next day onwards. He fell asleep while watching the tv, and when he woke up, he had a runny nose, a "raspy" sounding chest and his mother presumed he was coming down with a cold. " gave him some Calpol but as I was taking him upstairs, he was sick, and I put him to bed and kept an eye on him," he said. "Later he developed a temperature and wanted to cuddle. I stripped him down to a vest and underwear and gave him some juice." Just after midnight, on June 13, 2016, she noticed a blotchy rash on his legs and called 111.
The little one was groaning in the background when Keane called the operator, but at the end of the 9-minute-call, investigators identified that the operator hadn't taken any action or tell the mother to rush her son to the hospital. It was only around lunchtime the next day that an ambulance arrived, after the mom found the boy unresponsive. Sadly, he had a cardiac arrest bought on by septic shock caused by meningococcal bacteria, probably from the bump on his head. "In the ambulance, a paramedic was still doing chest compressions but after a while at the hospital, the doctor asked me if I wanted them to stop, said Keane, recalling the horrible incident.
"I told them as a mother I never wanted them to give up but if it wasn't going to bring my baby back, I wanted them to stop pounding on his little chest. I just couldn't believe that my little boy had been running around the day before, asking for his juice and wanting to play outside and now he was dead. I began screaming but no noise came out." It's been four years but the pain is still raw, says Keane. "It doesn't stop me grieving for my baby every single day. His illness didn't kill him – that 111 handler's failure to call him an ambulance did. I wish I'd trusted my mother's instincts and taken him straight to A & E, but I didn't and now I have to pay the price of losing my little boy. Jaydan-Lee isn't here and so I have to tell this story. I'm his voice and I need to make sure that other families don't go through anything like this."