Freeman managed to overcome every curveball life threw at him and that made him the wise person he is today.
What's not to like about Morgan Freeman? Not only is the legendary actor one of the finest artists of our time, but he is also known and respected for his wisdom. His history-making films are proof of his exceptional talents but for the Academy-winning actor, fame wasn't easy to come by. Before being known widely for his works in Shawshank Redemption and Million Dollar Baby, the 82-year-old had a rather challenging childhood. Being the youngest of his four siblings, Freeman was raised by Morgan Porterfield Freeman, Sr., a barber and Mayme Edna, a school teacher, according to Biography.
Hailing from a low-income group, his family had to struggle for a livelihood during the Jim Crow South era. When he was just six, his mother separated from his father due to his alcohol addiction. Like most people of color at the time, Freeman, too, was a victim of racism which was rampant then, reports truth theory. Despite having to struggle earlier in life, his steely determination helped him climb the ladder of success and rule the world of Hollywood. In addition to receiving lifetime awards from both the Golden Globes’ Hollywood Foreign Press and the Screen Actors’ Guild, Freeman was recognized as an American icon and honored with the National Medal of Arts by President Barack Obama.
Freeman managed to overcome every curveball life threw at him and that made him the wise person he is today. Throughout his journey, he delighted his audience by sharing his perception of life and it's something everyone deserves to read.
Here are 15 of his powerful quotes to inspire you:
1. "As long as you feel like a victim, you are one."
2. "Get busy living or get busy dying!"
3. "One of the things you can always depend on – this is one of the truths of the universe, and you heard it first from here – whatever we decide we want to do is what we do.."
4. "Forgiveness liberates the soul, it removes fear."
5. "Learning how to be still, to be really still and let life happen — that stillness becomes a radiance."
6. "Very often, you know, you stop walking because you say, 'Well, I’m tired of climbing this hill. I’m never going to get to the top.' And you’re only two steps from the top."
7. "I always tell my kids if you lay down, people will step over you. But if you keep scrambling, if you keep going, someone will always, always give you a hand. Always. But you gotta keep dancing, you gotta keep your feet moving."
8. "One of the things you can always depend on – this is one of the truths of the universe, and you heard it first from here – whatever we decide we want to do is what we do.."
9. "Insanity is coasting through life in a miserable existence when you have a caged lion locked inside and the key to release it."
10. "Kindness in thinking or giving, creates profoundness and happiness. Kindness in saying creates an everlasting love."
11. "Let me be the first to tell you, drinking alcohol is the worst thing to do in winter. Hot soup is the best because the process of digesting food helps to warm you up."
12. "Don’t be different just for different’s sake. If you see it differently, function that way. Follow your own muse, always."
13. "If your life turns out to be good and you have a tremendous amount of luck in your life, it’s a good thing to turn around and make it work for others."
14. "Never let pride be your guiding principle. Let your accomplishments speak for you."
15. "When you have made your choice, it is providence that is your guide. Good, bad, or indifferent. Your fate lies in that."