3-year-old Kali would have drowned if it wasn't for her sister Jayla who was quick to pull her out of the pool in an Atlanta pool last month.
With soaring temperatures, people everywhere are seeking joy and comfort in the cool waters of their pools and local beaches. Children all across the country cannot resist the temptation to play in the pool regardless of what time it is! This instant seasonal surge in kids' water activities calls for a crucial set of safety measures that just cannot be overlooked such as being constantly supervised. One family had to learn the significance of these precautionary steps the hard way when their 3-year-old daughter almost drowned.
The Atlanta-based family got the shock of their lives when their youngest daughter Kali Dallis almost drowned herself in the pool of their Savoy Apartment Complex in Chamblee, Georgia on May 15, reported WSB TV. It was 10-year-old Jayla Dallis, her sister, who noticed Kali had been submerged underwater. Kali had been gasping for air for nearly two minutes before her hero sister decided to take matters into her own hand. Instantly, Jayla jumped into the pool and saved her sister from drowning. This whole ordeal was recorded by the Savoy Apartment Complex's surveillance camera.
Atlanta Girl, 10, Called a Hero After Saving 3-Year-Old Sister from Drowning in a Pool https://t.co/tkB8o2vpRV— Reading Enrichment (@withTonyandLisa) June 3, 2019
During an interview with ABC News, Jayla explained how she managed to get her little sister out of the pool. "She was like heavy, so I had to pull her by her hair and then I grabbed her by her waist and pulled her up," she said. Among many responders, Chamblee Police Sgt. Ed Lyons was also present when the 3-year-old was lying unconscious and was reminded of his own daughter. "I saw my little girl laying there. Same kind of little bathing suit she wears. Same little hair pulled up in a little bun up top. You know you kind of have to push past that and do what you’re trained to do," said Lyons.
Kali jumped into the water with her floating device around her waist which turned out to be deadly. As soon as she hit the water, she was turned upside down. The video footage shows a distressed Kali struggling to stay afloat but fails miserably. The tube then slips under her. Jayla, who had been swimming on the deeper end of the pool, sprung into action and pulled her sibling out of the life-threatening situation. After getting her out of the pool, the apartment's operations manager and Kali's aunt took turns in performing CPR on the little child.
Shortly after being rescued, one of the witnesses present on the scene called up 911 and the toddler was rushed to Scottish Rite Hospital where she was said to be in critical condition. One might overlook the necessity of teaching their kids to swim early on, but Sarah Denny of the American Academy of Pediatrics revealed, "Drowning is the single leading cause of injury-related death among children ages 1 to 4." The lead author of Prevention of Drowning lists several precautionary methods that must be implemented. This policy statement also urges kids to learn how to swim.
After learning about her daughter's condition, mother Daneshia Dallis rushed to the hospital along with the eldest Jayla. The doctors there were uncertain if her toddler would even survive. Fortunately, just two weeks later Kali made a full recovery and will be released from the hospital on Friday. The mother expressed how lucky she was to take her daughter home reported WSBTV_2. Furthermore, she told the outlet how she wasn't present at the pool on the day of the incident and trusted her daughter with her sister. A call from the ICU made her race towards the hospital where she witnessed the heroic footage of her eldest saving the little one.
"As a 10-year-old, to think about all of that in a traumatic situation, I’m so proud of her, I don’t even know what to do," she said. Jayla was indeed the first one to perform CPR on her baby sister before other people gathered around. The mother also advised other parents to take proper precautionary methods to keep their kids safe. "It’s amazing. It’s a miracle. Don’t take your eyes off of them. Don’t take your eyes off of them. All the floats are not safe. Be careful. Watch your kids," said Daneshia.
3-year-old Kali was just released from the hospital! She spent 2 weeks here after almost drowning in her apartment complex’s pool. Her sister and a police officer saved her! If you missed @SeidenWSBTV’s report last night after the game, be sure to watch the update today at 4! pic.twitter.com/Uc0WMSS4Dr— Christian Jennings (@CJenningsWSB) May 31, 2019