Prisoner Beats Cellmate To Death After Learning He Raped His Sister, Gets 24 Years In Jail

Prisoner Beats Cellmate To Death After Learning He Raped His Sister, Gets 24 Years In Jail

26-year-old Shane Goldsby brutally attacked 70-year-old Robert Munger who eventually succumbed to his wounds in June 2020.

Image source: Washington Department of Corrections (L) Kelso Police Department (R)

Trigger Warning: This story contains graphic details of murder that readers may find disturbing.

An inmate in Washington State was handed an additional 24 years in prison for murdering his cellmate and convicted child rapist, who abused his sister. 26-year-old Shane Goldsby pleaded guilty to second-degree murder charges last month for beating 70-year-old Robert Munger to death back in June 2020. According to Daily Mail, Munger was serving a 43-year prison sentence at the Airway Heights Correctional facility due to multiple child molestation and child pornography charges when Goldsby became his cellmate.

Goldsby claims that he lost his temper after he heard Munger brag about his sordid crimes in the prison's common area. "I had so much stuff going on in my head," he said adding that he made up his mind to kill the elderly convict after learning that his minor sister was one of his victims per KHQ. "I wasn't stable at that point. I wasn't. I was getting to that point, because (Munger) kept wanting to give me details about what happened, what he did – about the photos and the videos of him doing this stuff. It was building up." It was the child's mother, Cindy Elliott, and an anonymous person who told revealed that Munger had raped the girl.



Goldsby was in disbelief when he learned that Munger was his sister's rapist and he reportedly requested to have a different cellmate but his pleas fell on deaf ears. "I was in shock. I was like, 'what the f***?'... This stuff doesn't happen. You're talking the same institution, the same unit, the same pod in the same cell as this dude. That's like hitting the jackpot in the casino seven times," he said. While Munger had been convicted in December 2019, Goldsby had been serving time for a 2017 incident where he stole a police vehicle and crashed it into a Washington State Patrol vehicle after a lengthy chase. He also injured the trooper inside the Patrol car in the process. 

While serving time in prison, the young man got into many fights with correction officers and ad to be moved to many facilities before finally arriving at Airway Heights. Here he became a reformed man and claimed to have found God. "I quit gangbanging. I was doing good," Goldsby shared. But after finding out of Munger, he completely lost it. "You put me in the same cell as this dude. I feel set up. I'm the victim," he expressed. But DoC spokeswoman Janelle Guthrie said, "There was no clear indication in the documentation regularly reviewed for housing assignments that there was a potential conflict."


 As for the murder, the 26-year-old attacked Munger from behind knocked him to the ground, and punched, kicked him in the face 14 times. He didn't stop there and continued stomping his head another four times before finally walking away. Munger was alive at the time but he succumbed to his wounds three days later. Reading Goldsby's apology on behalf of him in court, his attorney Victoria Lynn Blumhorst said, "I’m ashamed of my actions, I was put into a situation that I don’t wish on nobody. I got a lot of fixing to do." Blumhorst continued, "I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a loved one in this kind of way. To his wife and his whole family, I apologize. I am so sorry and I hope you are able to heal from what I caused."

It was also brought to light that the young man had trouble growing up after being transferred to 10 different foster homes before reconnecting with his mom who used drugs with him. Since the age of 22, Goldsby has been in the prison system and had arrived at Airway Heights after undergoing an inmate reform program. The maximum sentence that he could have been handed was 33 years and the prosecuting attorney said an additional 24 years was given so that there was no possibility of Munger's wife being alive when he was released. In addition to the prison sentence, Goldsby had to serve three years parole and after being released he has to pay Munger's family restitution. 


Recommended for you